Pauls Elective

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A funny thing happened on the way to .....

........ work yesterday.

There i was sitting on the 8.30am train into town which was packed with commuters. I was knee to knee with a woman who was reading a book. I got out my clinical medicine book and was doing some revision during the 45 mins journey.

As in pretty much every major city, commuters either busy themselves reading, look straight ahead without making eye contact or look out of the window (or look at people in the reflection of the window - like i do!)

Anyway, this wonam i was sitting knee to knee with began to speak to me, which startled me a bit, but i was polite and answered her queries about what i was doing and where i was from etc. Nearing the city, she closed her book and started drawing on the trains steamed up window............. a bit childish i thought, but hey, who am i to judge!?! She continued this for about 3-4 mins, making sweeping movements with her hands and arms, and i thought she was going to clock me in the face at one point, but i didn't flinch, i just sat there and read my book.

Nearing the final destination of the train, she said ...."ah, i'm just a big kid at heart, look what i've done" - i looked up at the steamed up window and she had drawn my portrait in on it with her hands!! I was rather shocked at what was going on, so i nervously said "wow" "nice one!". She wished me a good day and we went separate ways (i walked a bit faster than usual away from the train).

Only in hindsight, have i realised what a great moment this was, i've spoken to quite a few people about it and they are all taken aback by what happened.

I wish i hadn't been so suspicious, and i also wish i had taken a photo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home